Hurricane Conditions –
For updates on potential Hurricane conditions or any other weather system in the Caribbean, please see www.weatherpr.com This is also a helpful site for Puerto Rico during emergency conditions: www.aemead.pr.gov
Coqui del Mar Guest House is Hurricane Ready. We have already had a category 5 hurricane pass directly over us in 2005 with minimal damages. Even if the San Juan area loses electricty during a storm, we have a full house generator. You will have internet, cable and air conditioning. In fact, besides the outside weather, you will not really know that there is a hurricane going on.
Our guest house is made of concrete block. With poured cement. Basically, a bomb shelter. We are the perfect place to weather out a hurricane.
A few practical tips Prior to a hurricane:
- make sure that you either turn in your rental car, or that you have complete insurance coverage. Fill up your gas tank early as gas lines will be long.
- We offer trip insurance. This is the best way to have a full reimbursement due to unforeseen circumstances.
- Call your airlines and see what they offer as options for you.
- During a hurricane, stay indoors. And after the hurricane, wait until you hear from authorities. The most dangerous time of a hurricane is actually after a hurricane has passed, while electrical wires may be exposed or other dangerous objects exist within the public space.
- San Juan could lose water services during a storm. Fortunately, we have a cistern with 1800 gallons of water on reserve. This will be used very quickly if guests do not make extreme efforts to conserve water.
- We do sell trip insurance. This covers you 100% for last minute cancellations in case of hurricanes, air travel changes, depressed pets, or any other reason for cancellation up to 24 hours before arrival with 100% refund (besides the trip insurance fee of 5%)
- Download our hurricane guide.